Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why Education is Failing


This is the gorilla in the room that no one talks about. One of the reasons the quality of K-12 education is failing because of the opportunities for women have expanded since 1972. The demographics of college bound female students that are choosing to major in education have changed greatly since 1972. In 1970, the year I started college, most of my female friends that went to college majored in education, nursing, or business. And that was after the start of the women's liberation movement. When I started elementary school in 1958, even the best and brightest females had basically the same three choices. And many of the brightest females had chosen education. I had a great deal of respect for 98% of my female teachers. Today we find the middle to bottom of female high school graduates chosing eduction as a major. My teachers encouraged me to ask question and think for myself. My son's teachers rewarded conformity. My granddaughter has the same second grade teacher that my son had 21 years ago. And she is teaching in the same format that she used when she was teaching my son. The entire school system since NCLB has focused on rewarding conformity. Conformity is one of the keys to high national test scores. One of the reasons I quit teaching as soon as I made my retirement was that I was disgusted with an administration that wanted every teacher teaching 8th grade history in the district to be on the same page on the same day. The entire system had been altered to provide proof that we were teaching all of the standards and benchmarks. There is no room for creativity. There is no respect for the teaching profession, even from educaional administrators. Many parents have no respect for teachers, because the education system failed them also.

No comments: